It’s that time of year again. Birds are singing, bees are buzzing and buds are blooming. If you’re like many people, you’re also bringing your bike out of storage, and getting ready to hit the trails for another year of outdoor adventure and fun.
Brush up on the most important Alabama bike laws to keep you and everyone around you safe and sound.
Alabama Bike Laws Basics
- Remember your helmet! In Alabama, it’s a legal requirement that every cyclist or passenger on a bicycle who is under 16 must wear a helmet. However, as bicycle accident lawyers in Alabama that see lots of bike accidents, we’d recommend that anyone who gets on a bike protects their head with good quality gear.
- Alabama doesn’t specifically have vulnerable user laws, which are traffic laws that favor the most vulnerable party in any accident situation. Even if we did though, you should still exercise caution on the road. Just because you might have right of way does not mean you can’t get hurt!
- Keep right! The law is very clear that cyclists should stay as close to the right of the road as possible, under all circumstances.
- Don’t forget that distracted driving laws apply to bike users as well as drivers. If you’re caught using electronic devices while cycling, you could still be fined.
- Never ride on pavements, but if there is a dedicated bike trail, remember that you must use that trail.
- Remember that cyclists must adhere to stop signs and most other road signs, just like car, truck and motorcycle operators.
- Likewise, because Alabama laws view bicycles as vehicles, operating one while under the influence of alcohol might well see you charged with a crime.
Even if you adhere to all these guidelines, there’s always a chance that you will be in an accident.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Alabama Can Help
Victim of a bicycle accident? You might receive compensation for your injuries, as well as damages for other costs or losses. Contacting bicycle accident lawyers in Alabama is the best way to find out for sure.
Call (256) 533 5000 to speak to bicycle accident lawyers in Alabama. Call any time, we offer free consultations. With a strong case, we’ll arrange a meeting during our office hours to discuss specifics.