Take Care of Your Mailman with These Slip and Fall Prevention Tips
Did you know February 4th is National “Take Care of Your Mailman Day”? Show your mailman you care by practicing slip and fall prevention techniques around your home. Certainly, anyone coming over will appreciate it! Pitman & Petro Attorneys at Law handle slip and fall cases regularly. Hopefully your home remains a safe place for you, your family, and your mailman. However, if you do get hurt in a slip and fall, call Pitman & Petro today.
What Injuries Can Happen During a Slip and Fall?
Slip and falls can cause a myriad of various injuries. Sometimes, you end up with a bruise and maybe a cut. Other times, slip and fall injuries can cause severe brain or spine damage. See below for a list of possible injuries you can prevent:
- Soft tissue injuries usually do not leave a mark. These injuries are sprains and ligament tears that are not easily seen but can change your entire lifestyle if left untreated.
- Cuts can be anywhere from minor to severe as well. If the fall was especially intense, a cut or abrasion may be a sign of a more major injury beneath the surface. Sometimes, stitches are required.
- Slip and falls can cause head injuries from minor concussions to traumatic brain injury. If you fall and hit your head, see a doctor even if you feel fine. You may not realize how hurt you are.
- Broken bones range from small fractures to large breaks requiring surgeries.
- Spinal cord injuries can be terrifying. They can cause paralysis and quadriplegia, not to mention numerous surgeries.
Follow slip and fall prevention techniques to avoid causing these injuries or getting hurt yourself. If you do get injured, get help from the personal injury lawyers at Pitman & Petro.
What You Can Do for Slip and Fall Prevention
How can you thank your mailman by making his job safer? You can do a lot! Check out slip and fall prevention ideas below both in general, and in the dangerous winter months.
- Keep your yard and sidewalk clear of toys and other debris.
- Maintain surfaces. Do not allow potholes or chips to form in your concrete. Replace sections of sidewalk if tree roots or heat decide to move them for you.
- Look into the future. No crystal ball? Simply keep an eye out for potential hazards. If you notice one, fix it before an accident happens.
- Place a bright tape on hidden step ledges.
- Add handrails to steps.
- Leave a sign out. Aware of a potential hazard you cannot fix immediately? Leave a sign for anyone approaching your home so they know, too.
- Shovel your sidewalk if there is snow or sleet buildup.
- Use salt to melt any ice.
- Pour sand or gravel to provide traction.
By following these tips, you make your home a safer place for you, your family, and anyone coming to your home. If someone does get hurt during a slip and fall accident, call us for a free consultation.
Pitman & Petro Attorneys at Law
The attorneys at Pitman & Petro work with slip and fall accidents each day. Call us today for a free consultation. You can access our lawyers at (256) 533-5000 or online using our LiveChat feature. With Pitman & Petro Attorneys at Law, we promise to take care of you.
We offer free consultations and take no fee unless you win, so there’s no obligation to you. So, don’t wait!
The information on this blog is for general information purposes only. Nothing herein should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.