A car accident can leave you with life-changing physical and emotional injuries, and the stress can be overwhelming. You may be worried about how you’ll pay your bills, care for your family, and get the medical care you need.
If another driver caused your injuries, an Alabama car accident attorney at Petro Accident & Injury Attorneys can help you navigate the claims process and get the compensation you deserve. We will inform you of your legal rights, the value of your car accident claim, and exactly who is responsible for your injuries. Contact us to learn more.
While every car accident is different, you should follow these basic tips to protect yourself and your loved ones after a crash. These simple steps can help you document the circumstances surrounding your crash, the severity of your injuries, and get you the emergency medical care you need.
- Call 911 and request assistance
- Remain at the scene of the crash and wait for the authorities
- Cooperate with the police during their investigation and provide them with accurate information
- Obtain the other drivers’ contact and insurance information
- Request medical attention, if you have any aches or pains (even if they seem minor)
- Take pictures of the crash site, the vehicles involved, and your injuries
- Get the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses to the crash
However, you should never admit fault or apologize for a car accident. Alabama applies a strict form of contributory negligence. If you are even 1% at fault for the crash, you’ll lose your right to compensation. If you made damaging statements, don’t panic. Instead, contact an experienced Alabama car accident lawyer who can help you identify the actual causes of your crash and fight on your behalf.
Dealing With the Insurance Company
Once you’ve gotten the medical care you need, you’ll also need to file a claim with the insurance companies. However, it’s typically best to consult with a car accident attorney before you start this process. First of all, you may have multiple claims with multiple insurance companies, including those of the at-fault drivers, and your own insurance company for med pay coverage and uninsured/underinsured insured insurance coverage. It’s easy to miss some of these claims unless you know what you’re looking for.
Second, insurance companies frequently try to take advantage of unrepresented accident victims. The adjuster may offer you a settlement that seems fair at first glance but does not fully consider all of your damages. They may also discourage you from working with a lawyer, or try to get you to make damaging statements on tape. Studies show that claimants represented by an attorney receive larger settlements.
When you work with an Alabama car accident lawyer, you’ll have someone on your side. Your lawyer will help you understand the real value of your claim and help you strengthen your case, not decrease its worth.
What Must You Prove in an Alabama Car Accident?
Car accidents are caused by a variety of factors and can involve many different parties, including drivers, passengers, bikers, cyclists, pedestrians, and other road users. Whether you’re t-boned at an intersection, sideswiped, or rear-ended at a red light, you probably want to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Almost all car accident claims focus on a theory of negligence, and you must show that:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty (such as a duty to pay attention to the road and operate their vehicle safely)
- They violated this duty and caused your injuries
- You suffered damages due to your injuries, such as lost income and pain and suffering
To prove this, your car accident attorney will have to pinpoint the exact causes of your accident, calculate your wide-ranging losses, and build your case.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Common causes of car accidents include:
- Failing to yield to the right-of-way
- Drunk and drugged driving
- Fatigued and drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Improper lane changes
- Tailgating and other overly-aggressive driving behaviors
- Failing to keep an appropriate stopping distance
- Dangerously designed roads and intersections
- Defective and dangerous vehicles and car parts
- Improperly maintained vehicles
Sometimes, it takes expert witnesses to properly identify all of your accident’s causes. When necessary, Petro Accident & Injury Attorneys consults with engineers, accident reconstruction experts, and other specialists. To learn more about our sophisticated and innovative approach to personal injury law, request an appointment with a car accident attorney at our office today.
GET YOUR FREE RIDER VIP CARD!
24-Hour Accident Hotline
No Recovery/No Fee for Personal Injury Claims
FREE Representation for Motorcycle Damage Claims
FREE Legal Advice to your motorcycle organization
FREE Home & Hospital Visit
FREE Motorcycle Insurance Policy Coverage Review